Butlincat's blog...a seeker of the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth...

“As long as justice is postponed we always stand on the verge of these darker nights of social disruption.” - so said Martin Luther King Jr. in a speech on March 14, 1968, just three weeks before he was assassinated.

Edward Snowden: “I don’t want to live in a society that does these sort of things… I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded.”

...hello + welcome!....FAIR USE NOTICE: This site may contain copyrighted (© ) material. Such material is made available to advance understanding of ecological, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, moral, ethical, and social justice issues. This constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed for analysis, commentary, educational and intellectual purposes. In some cases comedy and parody have been recognized as fair use.

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License..... For more information please visit:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/107

See also: VICTIMS OF THE STATE https://butlincat.com/

This blog is for for regular updates + info connected to recent UFO sightings, ALIEN RACES, ILLUMINATI, 911, 7/7, CHEMTRAILS, MORGELLONS [98% OF WORLDS POPULATION HAS MORGELLONS DISEASE], MIND CONTROL {MK ULTRA.MANNEQUIN etc.}, ELECTRONIC SURVEILLANCE, JOHN LEAR, ALEX COLLIER, PROJECT CAMELOT, PROJECT AVALON, MICHAEL TSARION, JORDAN MAXWELL, PRESTON NICHOLS, AL BIELEK, STEWART SWERDELOW, DUNCAN CAMERON, WILLIAM COOPER, PHIL SCHNEIDER, David Wilcock, FRITZ SPRINGMEIER, BILLY MEIER, MAX IGAN, STEW WEBB, "Democracy Now!", Henry Makow, Linda Moulton-Howe, Dan Burisch, Webster Tarpley, Brother Nathaniel, Timothy Good, Miles Johnson, Jim Marrs, John Hutchison, Wikileaks, Julian Assange, Dr. John Hall, Edward Snowden, Vladimir Putin, John Lennon, Bob Zimmerman + many more who can only be described as heroes...

Wordpress: VICTIMS OF THE STATE https://butlincat.com/

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/butlincat

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/butlin.cat.9

"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap." Galatians 6:7

......Namaste.....John Graham - butlincat










Monday, 6 February 2017

Reporters' Spy Saga Gives Glimpse of UK Surveillance Culture + SNOWDEN, MY DOMESTIC HACKING [VIDEOS], SNOOPERS CHARTER + archive:

Note: For more along these lines, see concise summaries of deeply revealing news articles about police corruption and the disappearance of privacy.

Reporters' Spy Saga Gives Glimpse of UK Surveillance Culture

DARLINGTON, England — Feb 1, 2017, 1:04 PM ET
 
British journalist Julia Breen's scoop about racism at her local police force didn't just get her on the front page, it got her put under surveillance.
In the months that followed Breen's exclusive, investigators logged her calls, those of her colleague Graeme Hetherington and even their modest-sized newspaper's busy switchboard in an effort to unmask their sources. The two were stunned when they eventually discovered the scale of the spying.
 
"It just never even crossed our minds," Breen said in a recent interview in the newsroom of The Northern Echo, in the English market town of Darlington. "I don't know if I was quite naive, but on a regional newspaper you don't expect your local police force to do this."
The Echo's editor, Andy Richardson, said his paper's brush with police spying carries a warning as surveillance laws stiffen up and down the continent .
 
"This case might be about a relatively obscure newspaper in the northeast of England, but it asks much bigger questions about where we're headed as democratic societies all across Europe," Richardson said.
 
Breen and Hetherington make for unlikely targets of state surveillance. On a wintry day earlier this month, Breen was looking into reports of flooding. Hetherington was writing a story about an attack on a cat. Above them, a flat screen television kept a running tally of the day's most-clicked stories. "Traffic 'back to normal' on A19 northbound," was No. 1. "Weather pictures: Snow leads to accidents" was a close second.
 
Nevertheless the Echo has often provided painful reading for Cleveland Police , a department responsible for a Chicago-sized patch of England's industrial northeast.
 
The small force has weathered a series of scandals. A minority officer, Sultan Alam, was awarded 800,000 pounds in 2012 (then worth $1.26 million) after allegedly being framed by colleagues in retaliation for a discrimination lawsuit. When the judgment made national headlines on April 16 of that year, Cleveland Police issued a statement insisting the force wasn't racist.
 
The next day, an anonymous caller told Breen an internal police report suggested otherwise.
Working the phones, Breen confirmed the story. The following morning her byline was across the front page beneath the words: " Institutional racism uncovered within Cleveland Police ."
It caused a stir, but news cycles change. Breen, who had just returned from maternity leave, eventually forgot the episode.
 
Cleveland Police didn't.
 
Officer Mark Dias confessed to being Breen's anonymous tipster the day the Echo's story ran, but higher-ups wanted to get to the bottom of other leaks. The force secretly began logging calls to and from Breen, Hetherington and a third journalist from another newspaper. Dias was put under surveillance, as was a police union leader and a lawyer associated with the pair. The next month, police seized three days' worth of calls made to The Northern Echo's switchboard.
Although none of the seized records included the content of the individuals' conversations, collectively the length, timing and nature of hundreds of phone calls can be extraordinarily revealing. It was later calculated that the surveillance covered over 1 million minutes of calling time.
 
The Echo isn't unique. Britain's wiretapping watchdog — the Interception of Communications Commissioner's Officerevealed in 2015 that 82 journalists' communications records had been seized as part of leak investigations across the country over a three-year period.
 
The watchdog said those figures were "artificially inflated" by the investigation into Britain's tabloid bribery scandal, which centered on industrial-scale abuses by journalists working for London-based titles. But it also said that 19 reporters caught up in leak investigations worked for local or regional papers, publications far from the center of the scandal.
 
A law passed in the wake of the findings required police to seek judicial authorization before monitoring reporters' calls, but old habits die hard. Last March, a senior Scottish police official resigned after it was revealed that his force failed to seek proper approval for a media leak investigation.
 
The commissioner's office said it could not immediately provide further information on media surveillance, including up-to-date figures.
Journalists are targeted by law enforcement in other countries. While Cleveland Police were combing through Breen's calls, for example, the U.S. Department of Justice was rifling through the telephone records of Associated Press journalists in an attempt to learn who leaked them details of a botched al-Qaida bomb plot.
 
When news of the Justice Department's leak investigation broke the following year, the scandal lit up Washington. Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus — now U.S. President Donald Trump's chief of staff — accused then-Attorney General Eric Holder of having "trampled on the First Amendment."
The reaction to the seizure of the Echo's call records, news of which emerged late last year, has been far more muted.
 
Neil Macfarlane, who teaches journalism at the University of Sunderland and has followed the Echo case closely, said "it takes a lot" for the U.K.'s London-centric press corps to take an interest in what happens outside the capital.
Then again, there could just be greater tolerance in Britain for police prying into journalists' affairs.
 
"There has been a culture of surveillance when it comes to journalists for a while now," he said.
Cleveland Police has apologized to the reporters, as well as to Dias, its now-former officer, and to Steve Matthews, the police union boss. In a ruling issued Tuesday, Britain's surveillance court, the Investigatory Powers Tribunal, ruled that the spying was unjustified. Cleveland Police, which declined interview requests ahead of the judgment, did not immediately return messages seeking comment, but in a statement posted to its Facebook page it noted the force was reviewing its internal affairs department as well as the past six years' worth of police surveillance work.
 
"When we get things wrong, as we did here, we will say sorry and work to make things right," Chief Constable Iain Spittal said in the statement.
 
Speaking ahead of the judgment, Matthews said he was pleased lawyers and journalists now enjoy judicial oversight of police requests for their call records, protection they didn't have in 2012. [are you serious?...ed.]
But he wondered where that left ordinary people. [I have been monitored and watched since I began reporting on certain "child abuse / removal" cases in 2010 - see:
 
"If you can do it to us," Matthews said, "You can do it anyone."
———
Online:
Satter can be reached at: http://raphaelsatter.com
———
An earlier version of this story incorrectly reported that Julia Breen was about to go on maternity leave when she got an anonymous tip-off. In fact, she had just returned.
 
 
Related:
 
DAYS IN MY LIFE...WITH SPOOKS [originally posted here on 21 June 2016]

UPDATE 8 FEB. 2017: All this began in 2010 after I reported a well-known case in Scotland, of serious child abuse to my local police in Bournemouth. They didn't want to know, and my reporting the same to the Chief Constable of this area met with my mails being blocked immediately. I must've told the wrong person at my local police, as slowly but surely, the surveillance upon myself began, beginning with the seemingly insignificant act of the taking down of 2 posters close to my abode advertising this now well-known case. Now, as I write on the 8 Febuary 2017 [the text below was written some months ago] I could write a book on the covert and not so covert harassment I am subjected to from many quarters - which, again I stress, is relatively minor compared to some I know - the ultimate in that being the disappearance of one Patrick Cullinane, who's disappearance on the weekend of the 10 November 2016 is still unexplained, Patrick was a common law lawyer, who helped many people in their quest for justice - something these characters who abuse the power they're given to run things despise. Patrick was a thorn in their side, so was "taken out", never to be seen in public, so far, and more than likely forever. So be it. But those who are doing this kind of thing - harassing other's daily lives with impromptu visits, and other insane targeting, should expect no mercy from those who are the subject of their abuse. After all, these characters are not paid to harass others, but rather to do the opposite - something these characters can't seem to get into their tiny heads. When I was a kid we had the "Boy Scouts" [founded by Baden-Powell] and a lesser organisation youths would join, the "Boys Brigade" - I liken the operatives responsible for their amateur dramatics of attempted surveillance and mini-harrassments as antics from this "Boys Brigade" - like something out of a "Carry On" film...laughable.

 
MAY 2016: Its comical. You get in a cab [as I did, on Sunday, to go to the station], and after a while, chatting to the driver, you find he knows more about you than you would've imagined. The chat goes to the subject of "corruption", after you've been asked where you're going and why? [typical probing] and one wonders who else has been "primed", with one's name being "flagged", as I've been made aware of so many times now, when visiting agencies, or wherever, around myself, that I have no choice but to use. Different locations - different flagging. They always deny it, of course, when asked "is my name flagged on your system - what does it say?" or whatever, but I know it's there simply by the body language or speech used from the person who's being asked - a very telling giveaway. Try harder spooks!! Get a real life! As if they haven't better things to do - my local plod etc. - what a joke! They began in 2010 by taking down the Hollie Greig posters I put up around me, then it progressed, till it became very obvious, and easy to spot, not much later.

They prime people with info - people you are to come into contact with. Eg. the guy "Frank", from way back in 2011, the business owner, who came round from miles away who thought he was going to sell me a particularly worthless laptop I saw his advert for, online. What he said, mentioning America out of the blue [I had connections in America], and the way his voice and body language changed when he said it, let me know something was afoot. It was the only time he actually looked me in the eye when he said that, too. Its not common when one invites an invited person into one's abode that they don't look you in the eye until 10 minutes into the scene. I was thinking it was weird as it was happening - why couldn't the guy look at me? When his entire demeanour changed ,and he said, out of the blue "I have a [family member] in America..."  I knew he'd been primed and this was a fishing expedition.

Shortly after that, the monitoring began in earnest - and at one point the Internet disruption I was paying for was so bad I was having to use an Internet cafe for 6 weeks until the director of a certain well known ISP company - who I'd complained to about this interference to my service [by spooks] - could sort out my broadband problems, which they finally did, after incredible hassle, and I was refunded for 3 months line rental because of the interference with service - caused by the very same people who primed the cab driver, etc. 2 days ago. This kind of cr-p happens all the time. They deny any flagging,  or monitoring, of course, and will go out of their way to deny it, as conversations I've had very recently or reply letters reveal after the subject had been broached. But we know, spooks - we know, and its not rocket science.
 I know I caught you on the hop on Sunday, when I caught that early train into London - but you soon caught up - I saw the 2 short [5'6"?] female officers peering at me from the corner, for a few seconds only, looking intent, talking, then disappearing back round the corner. You think I don't notice tiny things like that, or when you follow me around, or put silly females in my path who come up to me and ask me crazy questions, like "where's Asda?" - twice, when we're standing right outside the place [2014]?


And what about when I turned that corner, just by the Aldi roundabout, and the female student-looking type, or trainee spook, was already looking at me square in the eyes as I turned the corner [that is so very odd!], and walked straight up to me, standing very close to me, asking where the nearest bank was as she needed money? Come on. That's so cheap a stunt. The bank was round another corner down a nearby road 250 yards away - but how come she had a smile of her face whilst looking at me - in the eyes - when I turned that corner? Can you imagine how bizarre that acting was? I believe you must've dropped her off by car immediately preceeding this event, to get her [and the rest] ahead of me, ready for the verbal. You probably had people watching the event too, close by, and this person [and all the rest at other events, or some of them anyway] are probably wired for sound so anything said can be used later as evidence.

What about the tiny female with the small brown and white terrier dog, whilst waiting at the busstop that's now been moved, that I used nearly every day? Did you think I missed that one? Of course I didn't.  And, at the busstop, whilst waiting for the bus - who was the old guy on his mobile phone, 20 yards away, looking away from me all the time I was noticing him, leaning on the gate post. 


It would take literally all night to list every event since those posters were taken down in 2010, 2 weeks after they were put up, by that very busstop, a week after I gave a couple  of the posters to a person who lives in Highgate, London, around the time I met Kevin Annett + co. too, at the same location.
When you hassled me over 2 days beginning at the anti-pope march, and I complained to the IPCC about it, and 6 months later, the verdict back from the IPCC was "no case to answer" - noone from your side could recall what the heck I was complaining about, even though I'd given you the officer's numbers + names, etc etc.? Oh, and funny how that cab driver on Sunday, around 07.15BST, during the station trip mentioned an IPCC complaint he'd had disregarded. What an odd coincidence!! or is it "ham acting"?


September 2010 was obviously the trigger for numerous particularly amateur events that continue to this very day. What about the old doxy who confronted me on the coach journey en route to see a Musa in HMP in 2012 - who, to my irritation - came an sat next to me after a few minutes into the journey, drivelling on about how she'd been wronged by whoever in business and she also thought she was pretty sure she knew a paedo who was a wrong'un? Did you think I'd fall for all her predictable bs? Luckily, I was able to escape off the coach at Hammersmith where I always used to alight to get the tube, but anyone could stake a fortune on me getting a tail by the time I'd reached Caledonian Rd. - the tube stop for either HMP the M's were in.

Who was the guy plain-clothes that time that jumped my exit through the ticket barrier at Cale. Rd. - creeping close right behind me as i went through the ticket barrier device, unnoticed until we'd gone through the thing - so he could get off the station without using his ticket - not that he even had one in the 1st place because he was a spook on duty tailing me. White guy, black well-worn leather jacket, dark jean-type trousers, black medium length hair - centre parting, slightly unshaven, dark t-shirt. He gave it away by staring malevolently at me, off and on, in the lift one has to get in at Caledonian Rd. tube before the ticket barriers  + the street exit. He leant against the wall on the left in the lift, clocking me off and on as the lift awaited moving and then went up, whilst I looked forward towards the lift exit 2 yards away, by the other lift wall to the right.  Was I being provoked, the same as they did when with Annett in Oxford street, on the march, the day after the pope's Lambeth visit in 2010, the officer literally pushing me backwards away from the other 5 this character was with, after the helicoptor must've got me with face recognition when in the middle of scores of people waiting to begin the march by Selfridge's? Then, after being separated from Annett + co, after being held by the side of the road as the march began for about 6 minutes, you allowed me back into it, and I caught up with Annett, only to have another officer never further than a few yards way from me for the entire march, ahead of me to my right, who kept turning back to look directly at me, often. You surely have all recorded - all this connected to the IPCC complaint they couldn't remember anything about, made a fortnight later.

It would take literally all night to list every event that's been noticed.  The common factor in all this is my local agency [with others they've told], who I reported the Hollie Greig case to, in 2010 [ignored, emails to the then chief constable were blocked also], and also a "missing person" was reported to them in 2012 [ignored also
].

But what is happening to CERTAIN OTHERS especially is gross, and much, much worse. You act "under the law" - and that will never work, and is very illegal. Gangstalking, when connected to government, is a public scandal. How come genuine citizens are punished when reporting serious crimes committed by government employees, and the government employees are left alone to continue the serious crime, and the persons reporting the crime's lives are made hell - even imprisoned? What I've noticed is ridiculously negligible compared to many good citizens targeted simply because of what they know, and do about what they know.
 
When people join enforcement agencies I well believe they have the honesty and integrity needed, and are to be applauded for that. But, along the way, some fall, and turn into pure monsters. This has, and is happening right now - to a lot of people. Where did it go so wrong for these people to make them change into monsters? Where? And what do they hope to achieve by it all? Is it all down to simply having a bigger bank balance?
  Its pathetic.

Update:  and that's without the phone hacking going back years [landline and mobile, [and audio recorded also], some callers or recipients of calls made refusing to believe me at first, until, in calls after, what I had been telling them about blossomed in front of our very ears - that changed their minds, And the computer being hacked constantly also, which varies according to whose doing it - one can usually distinguish by what's being done.

videos:

"PRIVATE EYE"s IAN HISLOP + GCHQ EXPERT PROF. R. ALDRICH DISCUSS THE NEW "SNOOPERS CHARTER" + HOW GCHQ HAVE BEEN BREAKING THE LAW FOR 17 YEARS!! 6DEC16 
USE FANTASTIC AMOUNTS OF "DISCERNMENT" WITH THE GOVERNMENT SPOKESPERSON'S SPIEL AT 6 MINS 10 secs OR SO IN THIS VIDEO [and elsewhere]!!!    PURE TRIPE!!




Getting Personal -

HACKER FILMED LIVE ON MY COMPUTER 22 JULY 16

1]  my computer being hacked - on seeing this strange event, which had happened a couple of time before this time, I quickly grabbed my mobile phone and recorded it - theentire events only lasting around 2 minutes, if that. The "shaking screen" stopped after making this video public in July 2016.



KEYLOGGING FILMED ON MY PC 13 JULY 16

My computer being keylogged and filmed as it happens, while writing an email in my gmail a/c. I have a long history of being monitored, prob. by the sometimes very amateur "security services" [or connected] more than likely because of my reporting and highlighting certain shocking cases of child removalfrom perfectly good families, or other seriously irregular cases of imprisonment of persons, etc....eg. Carol Woods Lancs. whistleblower, the "Hampstead satanic Ritual Abuse" case, Peter Hofschroer, the Baylis family child removals, and many more appalling cases that are systematically and deliberately ignored by our wonderful government




KEYLOGGING BY A HACKER CAPTURED AGAIN ON FILM 12 AUG. 2016



BEING KEYLOGGED [hacked] 8NOV16


.................................................................................................................

EDWARD SNOWDEN on MASS SURVEILLANCE:



 
 
 
 
 
I came upon this clip on an old mem. stick = 1st May 2014, whilst trying to make a video about what I believed was my mobile being tracked, the event was interrupted by HMP [Her Majesty's Prisons] calling on my landline [out of use now because of endless hassle one way or another] after id already asked this HMP how MK was. Hed been refused a serious stomach operation - in the end, for a total of 18 months, only getting the required treatment after his release in March 2015, the ailment beginning after he'd been on hunger strike for approx. 33 days, before the prison dr. in HMP Cardiff relented and gave him the desired letter he'd been trying to get for months, if not years, confirming that he had no "brain tumour" as the dodgy consultant psychiatrist Williams had tried to make out in a report he'd made, used in court, in an effort to get MK locked away forever in an asylum. The story told to the warder was of course fictitious, as what i wanted to know was where MK was, as he had disappeared into the system after a court hearing, which had already been resolved by then. 
 

 

Wednesday, 25 December 2013

If You Have a Smart Phone, Anyone Can Now Track Your Every Move + SNOWDEN: HOW TO TURN YOUR PHONE "BLACK"

 
Government spy programme will monitor every phone call, text and email... and details will be kept for up to a year

By Pamela Owen


Details about text messages, phone calls, emails and every website visited by members of the public will be kept on record in a bid to combat terrorism.
The Government will order broadband providers, landline and mobile phone companies to save the information for up to a year under a new security scheme.
What is said in the texts, emails or phone calls will not be kept but information on the senders, recipients and their geographical whereabouts will be saved.
Direct messages to users of social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter will also be saved and so will information exchanged between players in online video games.

The information will be stored by individual companies rather than the government.
The news has sparked huge concerns about the risk of hacking and fears that the sensitive information could be used to send spam emails and texts.
Nick Pickles, director of privacy and civil liberties campaign group Big Brother Watch, said: 'Britain is already one of the most spied on countries off-line and this is a shameful attempt to watch everything we do online in the same way.
'The vast quantities of data that would be collected would arguably make it harder for the security services to find threats before a crime is committed, and involve a wholesale invasion of all our privacy online that is hugely disproportionate and wholly unnecessary. 

'The data would be a honey pot for hackers and foreign governments, not to mention at huge risk of abuse by those responsible for maintaining the databases.It would be the end of privacy online.

'The Home Secretary may have changed but it seems the Home Office’s desire to spy on every citizen’s web use and phone calls remains the same as it was under Labour.

'At a time when the internet is empowering people across the world to embrace democracy, it is shameful for one of the world’s oldest democracies to be pursuing the kind same kind of monitoring that has a stranglehold on civil society in China and Iran.'

It is believed the Home Office started talks with communication companies a few months ago and could officially be announced in May.

The plans have been drawn up by home security service MI5, MI6 which operates abroad, and the GCHQ, the governments communication headquarters which looks after the country's Signal Intelligence.

Security services would then be able to request information on people they have under surveillance and could piece together their movements with information provided.
Details of email correspondence and every website visited will also be kept

Details of email correspondence and every website visited will also be kept
Mobile phone records are able to show within yards where a call was made from and emails will be tracked using a computer's IP address.
Security services are said to be concerned about the ability of terrorists to avoid tracking through modern technology and are believed to have lobbied Home Secretary Theresa May to introduce the scheme.

According to The Sunday Times ministers are planning to include the spy initiative called the Communications Capabilities Development Programme in the Queen's speech in May.

Jim Killock, executive director of the Open Rights Group, said: 'This would be a systematic effort to spy on all of our digital communications.
'No state in history has been able to gather the level of information proposed,' he said to The Sunday Times.
 
THE SMARTPHONE APPS THAT SPY ON YOUR CHILDREN

Smartphone apps are being used by the companies that sell them to store information about your children.

The apps can gather information of their whereabouts, who they are talking to and even store photographs.
Small print in the information provided before it is downloaded gives permission for the information to be accessed.
The Sunday Times examined 200 apps available and out of those 170 provided the right to access some information stored on the phone.

Developers have said they need the information in order to ensure the products work properly but some of the data accessed has little relevance.
Last week it was discovered the app for Twitter had been secretly accessing mobile phone address books.
Director of Big Brother Watch, Nick Pickles, told The Sunday Times: 'How many parents knew that a simple mobile phone game would give someone the ability to access their child's location, see what their camera lens is looking at or see the phone number of who is calling their child?'

Mr Pickles added it was proof of how weak regulation was.

source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2103314/Government-spy-programme-monitor-phone-text-email.html#ixzz2oWJshw00


 ----------------------------------------------------------    
 
Christopher Mims April 20, 2012
 
Navizon I.T.S. makes it easy to pinpoint Wi-Fi devices anywhere its listening nodes are installed. 
Location services company Navizon has a new system, called Navizon I.T.S., that could allow tracking of visitors in malls, museums, offices, factories, secured areas and just about any other indoor space. It could be used to examine patterns of foot traffic in retail spaces, assure that a museum is empty of visitors at closing time, or even to pinpoint the location of any individual registered with the system. But let’s set all that aside for a minute while we freak out about the privacy implications.
Most of us leave Wi-Fi on by default, in part because our phones chastise us when we don’t. (Triangulation by Wi-Fi hotspots is important for making location services more accurate.) But you probably didn’t realize that, using proprietary new “nodes” from Navizon, any device with an active Wi-Fi radio can be seen by a system like Navizon’s.
To demonstrate the technology, here’s Navizon CEO and founder Cyril Houri hunting for one of his colleagues at a trade show using a kind of first person shooter-esque radar.
 
 
And here’s a website set up by Navizon to anonymously log the devices of pedestrians who walk by its offices in Miami Beach, FL.
Real-time data (and webcam) from Navizon’s listening station at its offices
Finally, here’s a promo video that lays out the workings of the technology fairly succinctly, starting at 1:40.
 
 
It’s important to note that the technology is inherently (somewhat) anonymous. Navizon’s system can determine where you are, but not necessarily who you are, since all it sees is a Wi-Fi radio.
However, because each device has a unique signature, Navizon’s system does know whether you’ve been in a place before. This could be used for security – is someone showing up in the same place over and over again, possibly casing the joint? – or by a retailer who wants to track repeat customers.
In addition, Navizon also has the ability to assign real identifying information to a device, but it’s a process that could hardly occur without your knowledge. Here’s Houri again, demonstrating the capability.
 
This might be useful in, for example, a hospital that wants to know where a given medical staffer is at any given moment.
Navizon I.T.S. isn’t just useful for the owner of the system – using custom floor layouts or the indoor portions of Google Maps, it can help people precisely locate themselves within buildings, much like the Bluetooth beacon system proposed for use in concert with Broadcom’s new GPS chip.

Navizon’s technology is also reminiscent of the location data provided to retailers and marketers by Skyhook’s Spotrank system, which has a different set of pros and cons: That data is available for every point on the planet, but it only includes devices running Skyhook software.
The rollout of this technology means there are now at least three ways that users can track their locations indoors, where GPS is generally useless – bluetooth beacon, Spotrank (and proprietary vendor) databases of Wi-Fi hotspots, and Navizon’s I.T.S. nodes. It also marks the second way (that I know of) for you to be tracked via the location of your phone, whether you want to be or not. (The first requires access to your cell phone carrier, and is used for example to locate your position when you make a 911 call.)
It shouldn’t be surprising that carrying around a little RF transmitter in your pocket makes you visible to all sorts of tracking technology. Maybe it’s simply the (inevitable) commercialization of this fact that is somehow unnerving.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/427687/if-you-have-a-smart-phone-anyone-can-now-track-your-every-move/
--------------------------------------------------------

How to Disable Facebook Places Location Tracking

If this feature creeps you out a little bit, you're not alone.

By

"Have you ever bothered to click on the "Places" map on your Facebook timeline? It kind of creeped me out the first time I tried it. It almost felt like Facebook was stalking me.
Hovering my mouse pointer over any of the red dots on the Facebook Places map revealed pictures I had been tagged in at each location, status posts I had made from different places, etc. I had never really thought that Facebook was aggregating all of this geotag data together, and frankly, I'm not crazy about them doing this for me. Depending on your privacy settings, your friends and others may also be able to see this information.

If you don't like Facebook presenting your location information in a scrapbook-for-stalkers format, you can turn it off (sort of). Let's take a look at a few things you can do to remove your location data from the Facebook Places map.

Step 1 - Remove Geotags From Your Pictures Before You Upload Them to Facebook
To ensure that future pictures posted to Facebook and other social media sites don't reveal your location information, you should make sure that the geotag information is never recorded in the first place. Most of the time this is done by turning off the location services setting on your smartphone's camera application so that the geotag information doesn't get recorded in the picture's EXIF metadata. There are also apps that will help you strip our the geolocation information of pictures you've already taken. You might want to try deGeo (iPhone) or Photo Privacy Editor (Android) to remove the geotag info from your photos before uploading them to social media sites.

Step 2 - Disable Location Services for Facebook on Your Mobile Phone / Device
When you first installed Facebook on your mobile phone, it probably asked for permission to use your phone's location services so that it could provide you with the ability to "check-in" at different locations and tag photos with location information. If you don't want Facebook knowing where you are posting something from, then you should revoke this permission in your phone's location services settings area.

Step 3 - Enable the Facebook Tag Review Feature
Facebook recently made an attempt to go from a super-granular privacy settings structure to an ultra-simple one. It now appears that you cannot selectively prevent people from tagging you at a location, however, you can turn on the tag review feature which allows you to review anything you've been tagged in, whether it's a picture or a location check-in. You can decide whether tags get posted before they are posted, but only if you have the tag review feature enabled.

To Enable the Facebook Tag Review Feature:
1. Log into Facebook and select the settings padlock icon next to the "Home" button at the top right corner of the page.
2. Click the "See More Settings" link from the bottom of the "Privacy Shortcuts" menu.
3. Click the "Timeline and Tagging" link on the left side of the screen.
4. In the "How can I manage tags people add and tagging suggestions?" section of the "Timeline and Tagging Settings menu, click the "Edit" link next to "Review tags people add to your own posts before the tags appear on Facebook?"
5. Click the "Disabled" button and change its setting to "Enabled".
6. Click the "Close" link.
After this setting is enabled, any post that you are tagged in, whether it's a photo, location check-in, etc, will have to gain your digital stamp of approval before it's posted to your timeline. This will effectively prevent anyone from posting your location without your express permission.
Step 4 - Limit Who Can See Your "Stuff" on Facebook
Also located in the newly revamped Facebook privacy settings area is a "Who can see my stuff" option. This is where you can limit the visibility of future posts (such as ones with geotags in them). You may choose "Friends", "Only Me", "Custom", or "Public". I advise against choosing "Public" unless you want the whole world knowing where you are and where you've been.

This option applies to all future posts. Individual posts can be changed as they are created or after they are made, in case you want to make something more public or private later on. You can also use the "Limit Past Posts" option to change all of your old posts that might have been "Public" or "Friends of Friends" to "Friends Only".

It's a good idea to check your Facebook privacy settings about once a month as they seem to make sweeping changes on a regular basis that could affect the settings you have in place. Check out our Facebook Privacy and Security section of our site for more guidance.

Andy O'Donnell
Andy O'Donnell
About.com Internet / Network Security
http://netsecurity.about.com/od/security101/a/How-To-Disable-Facebook-Places-Location-Tracking.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Watch: Edward Snowden Shows How To Make Your Phone Go Black
 

 
Edward Snowden Designs an iPhone Case to Detect + Block Wireless Snooping
 
 
Related:
 
SHOCKING: SNOOPER'S CHARTER PASSED INTO LAW THIS WEEK: "Britain has passed the 'most extreme surveillance law ever passed in a democracy'